The Story So Far:

Thursday 22 September 2011

Enthusiasm

I honestly can't remember the last time I have felt this excited about anything.


Apart from Christmas.  I still feel like a 4 year old when Christmas comes round and we get to put the tree and the lights and the decorations up.  Best things ever.


I digress. 


I'm excited! 


Today I have my second swimming lesson!! It's so funny, but I can feel myself reverting back to how I was when I was taking my driving lessons, or indeed when I was learning something new back at Primary school.  The eagerness to impress my teacher at the new skills, the keenness to make my body do what my brain wants it to do at the right time rather than random flailing movements . It's so exciting!


You people who have swum your whole lives probably have no idea what I'm talking about here!


I've never learned any kind of physical activity where it was necessary to control *all* parts of your body at the same time (apart from learning to drive a manual car - working the gear stick at the same time as the brake and the clutch, the day you get that down is a wondrous day my friends!). The only things I have done are walking and the odd bit of aerobics. Aerobics is hard, but to be honest what I do is more like organised flailing of body parts to music!  Swimming is something where you actually have to be aware at all times of where each part of your body is and the control that you a) currently have of it and b) what you want it to be doing next.


I have honestly never, never done that before as a conscious and sentient human being.


I'm very excited about learning to swim :)


A little note to all the P.E. teachers with chubby kids in their class who forget to bring their kit a lot (i.e. me) *THIS* is the enthusiasm that you need to tap into. *THESE* are the feelings that you should be instilling into those kids.  Not shame at the fact that those kids weren't able to do these things before now for what reason or another </rant about unsympathetic and useless P.E. teachers>

No comments:

Post a Comment